Protestant Church

Protestant Church

As early as 1070 a church consecrated to St. Martin was mentioned for the first time. In 1417 there were three altars (high altar, the Virgin Mary altar and St. Nicholas altar) in the parish church. In 1430 the three-part choir and in 1502 the steeple were renovated. In 1790 the house of God was pulled down and in 1790/91 rebuilt and enlarged.

The three-storey steeple dates from different times of construction. The first and second storeys are Gothic. The lower was once arched, proven by the brackets with the base of the ribs in the corners. The slender portal with the pointed arch, which once led into the old, small church, was bricked up but can still be seen in the east wall.
The upper storey is built with limestone from our region and has a tent-shaped roof. The present steeple structure also dates back to the year 1791. It was not until 1813 that the finishing work of the interior could be started as there were quarrells about costs.

In 2001 both windows behind the altar were replaced. The artist Robert Münch from Groß-Umstadt created the new colourful church windows.